Many pet owners take their dog’s dental health for granted and often fail to provide regular dental care, leading to different forms of oral diseases.
The truth is that oral hygiene is just as crucial as overall hygiene.
By the age of two, 80% of dogs exhibit some evidence of periodontal disease.
If their teeth are not cared for, dogs can develop oral pain, halitosis, and other severe conditions like periodontal disease, leading to tooth loss.
Clean and brush your dog’s teeth with a top recommended toothbrush, toothpaste, and dental wipes; provide them with quality dental chew, and apply dental gels to maintain their oral health.
Therefore, oral hygiene is just as essential for your dog as it is for you, even if you do not find any oral health issues.
Read on to find the best products for keeping your pup’s mouth fresh, tartar free, and healthy.
Top Recommended Dog Teeth Products
According to AAHA,
Veterinarians found that 27.8% of dogs had diseased teeth after looking at dental radiographs (X-rays) of dogs with teeth that appeared normal to the naked eye.
Similarly, veterinarians found additional diseased teeth in 50% of dogs with abnormal-looking teeth.
Just as regular veterinary visits are necessary to keep your dog’s teeth and gums healthy, finding the top-recommended dental products is also essential to help maintain your dog’s dental health.
So, check out the top-recommended dog teeth products to keep your pup’s mouth healthy.
Get toothpaste made specifically for dogs. Do not use toothpaste meant for humans as it may be toxic to your dogs.
Dog toothpaste usually comes in delicious chicken, beef, seafood, mint, and various flavors to entice your pet. Pick a flavor that your dog may tolerate.
Similarly, it is best to choose clinically proven toothpaste, the only dog toothpaste that is VOHC accepted.
Using dog’s dental toothpaste comes with many benefits:
- Removes plaque and stains
- Eliminates bad breath and dirty teeth
- Prevents tartar build-up
- Prevents your dog from ever having to suffer from dental diseases
You can use it with a toothbrush or just apply it to the teeth and sides of the mouth with a swab or your finger.
However, using it with a toothbrush is the best option.
Some of the other top recommended toothpaste are:
- Petsmile Professional Pet Toothpaste
- Arm & Hammer Fresh Breath Enzymatic Toothpaste
- Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste
- Paws & Pals Toothpaste
- E.T Enzymatic Poultry Flavor Toothpaste
Brushing your dog’s teeth might sound uneasy task, but it is an excellent way to prevent plaque buildup.
It is not a compulsion to brush your dog’s teeth daily, although the more often, the better.
Most dogs are not too fond of brushing teeth, but you can easily train your dog to have their teeth brushed the same way you would have them get groomed.
There are several options you can take when brushing your dog’s teeth.
H&H Finger Dog Toothbrush is an ideal way to get your pet used to having their teeth clean and can be fitted in your finger.
Simply slip the cover over your finger, apply some pet toothpaste and rub the teeth and gums.
It is made with pet-safe materials and will not negatively impact your pet’s mouth.
Here are some benefits.
- Easy to scrub around the mouth, getting both the fronts and backs of the teeth.
- Easily accepted by dogs and helps get to hard to reach back teeth.
- Prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar.
- Combat harmful growth in your dog’s mouth.
- Prevent dental problems
- Freshen your dog’s breath
Some of the other recommended best toothbrushes to help you find the best toothbrush for your furry friend based on their size, age, breed, and anxiety level are:
- Vetoquinol Enzadent Toothbrush
- Nylabone Advanced Oral Toothbrush
- Petosan Silent Power Electric Toothbrush
By implementing a routine of professional dental cleanings and regular at-home brushing, you will be helping to prevent periodontal disease and improve your dog's overall health.
Once your dog gets used to brushing, it becomes part of their routine, and they will begin to enjoy the experience.
Dental wipes are an alternate option for dogs that do not enjoy brushing.
It is made to be rubbed against your dog’s teeth to help remove what is on the teeth’s surface.
It works similar to toothbrushes but is not as effective in getting into the tiny nooks and crannies a brush does.
However, it is still a great way to clean your dog’s teeth and is often easier to manage than a toothbrush with toothpaste.
Some benefits of dog wipes.
- It helps remove plaque and tartar build-up and maintains the dog’s oral health.
- Convenient for pet travel and trips.
- It keeps gum healthy.
- No rinsing, no water needed.
- No brush formula
- Easy to use
- Freshens breath
To help you maintain your dog’s oral hygiene, here is a list of some of the best dental wipes for dogs available on the market.
- Petkin Plaque Toothwipes
- TropiClean Fresh Breath Dental Wipes
- Wellnergy Pet Dental Wipes
- Pet MD Dental Wipes
- John Paul Pet Wipes
- Maxiguard Oral Cleansing Wipes
Check this infographic out for more information.
4.Dog Dental Gel
Since many canines do not enjoy having their teeth brushed, dental gels often make a perfect substitute.
Dog tooth cleaning gels are a little thicker than toothpaste but are not toothpaste. Unlike toothpaste, you only need to apply them and leave them be.
Dog’s dental gels are designed to stay on a dog’s teeth and mouth as they work through the whole area mixed with your dog’s saliva.
It cleans your dog’s mouth for approximately an hour.
The benefits of using dental gel on your dog’s teeth are:
- It helps remove plaque and tartar buildup and kills germs that lead to periodontal disease and gingivitis.
- It provides fresh breath.
- Lowers the risk of oral disease and improves overall dental health.
- Safe, gentle, and effective for dogs.
- Easy to use.
- Act as a substitute for brushing.
- More convenient for you and less annoying for the dog.
There are several types of dog dental gels available.
However, choosing the dental gel with natural and effective ingredients is recommended to prevent dental issues, fight bacteria, and help maintain clean teeth, gums, and fresh breath.
Here are a few recommendations for dental gels for dogs.
- TropiClean Fresh Breath Clean Teeth Oral Care Gel
- Vet’s Best Fresh Breath Dental Care Gel
- PetzLife Peppermint Oral Care Gel
- Oxyfresh Premium Soothing Pet Dental Gel
5.Pet Dental Chews
Dental chew is designed to break up plaque and tartar buildup on your dog’s teeth while he chews.
The top pick for the best dog dental chew is Churpidurkha, made from yak or cow’s milk, completely natural containing no artificial coloring or preservatives, and free from gluten.
They come in a wide variety of unique shapes and sizes to meet your pet’s needs.
The benefits of providing dental chew to your dogs are:
- Safe for daily use
- Clean and polish your dog’s teeth
- Prevent plaque and tartar buildup.
- A Long-lasting, non-staining treat will give your pet hours of enjoyment.
- Available in different sizes for various dog breeds.
- Freshen up bad breath.
- It supports in proper digestion.
There are various flavors of dog chew available. Pick the best chew your dog loves and tolerates.
Following are the some of the other top dental chews brands available in the market are:
- Milk-Bone Brushing Chews
- OraVet Dental Care Hygiene Chews
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Bones Grain Free Dental Chews
- Ark Naturals Dental Chews
- Greenies Dental Chews
- Tartar Shield Soft Rawhide Chews
- E.T Veggiedent
These are the top-rated choice for tartar control and teeth maintenance dog chews.
Remember your dog’s oral health depends on your approach to finding proactive ways to keep them healthy.
Start with finding the best type of dental care product to help prevent them from developing severe oral health issues.
Moreover, regularly clean your canine’s teeth and provide reliable dog chew to help keep their teeth and mouth clean.
Get in touch with Urban Pet Supply for the best dog product in Urbandale if you are unsure about the dental products best suited to your dog’s oral health.