Did you know Chhurpi is a form of hard cheese that can be stored and eaten for up to 20 years?
Produced in the high mountainous regions of Nepal from cattle milk, it makes one of the popular forms of snacks for humans and pets alike.
In the case of pets, it is used as a chew to help with teething, stimulating their senses, or as a treat.
A dried cheese called Churpi produced by generations of yak herders in Nepal has unexpectedly become popular abroad as a dog treat for its health benefits, use of organic material, and sustainability.
Chhurpi, a popular snack for humans and pets alike, is produced in the mountainous regions of Nepal via cattle milk. In the case of pets, it is used as a chew to help with teething, stimulating their senses, or as a treat.
Many Nepalese locals who produce the churpi depend on them for a living. The churpi producers or collectors hardly make a gross profit of Nepali rupees 75-100 per kg (less than a dollar for 2.5 lb of churpi).
By supporting organic churpi pet chew over commercial products, you would uplift the livelihood of many people in Nepal.
Read on to find out why churpi pet chew is best for your pet and how you can improve the lives of churpi producers.
How Churpi Pet Chew Will Benefit Your Pet
Churpi pet chew, also referred to as Himalayan Dog Chews, Himalayan Bones, Himalayan Yak Chews, and Churpi Durkha, is a 100% natural and organic pet treat made from Yak or other cattle milk.
The best thing about them is that they do not contain preservatives or chemicals. They are gluten-free, lactose-free, and storable.
Churpi one of the highest quality natural products you can give your dog, carries numerous health, nutritional and dental advantages.
For example. it can improve your pet's dental hygiene, as chewing helps remove plaque and tartar.
Some benefits of giving Churpi Pet Chew to your dog.
- Suitable for dogs of all ages and sizes.
- Chews do not stain or splinter, nor produce an odor.
- Hard and long-lasting, The perfect treat to keep your dog happy and occupied, safely and naturally.
- An excellent alternative to rawhide and gluten-based chews.
- Supports oral health by removing tartar and plaque.
- It is lactose-free and rich in digestible protein, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, and numerous other vitamins and minerals.
How is Churpi Pet Chew Made?
Churpi brings you the essence of Himalayan mountains embodied in the form of pet chew.
It is made from sourcing fresh grass-grazing Yaks milk found at an altitude of 15,000 ft.
There is no added hormones, antibiotics, or pesticides prevalent in commercial cattle.
The cattle owners rely on feeding their cattle a daily diet consisting of herbs and organic grasses grown in the Himalayan region.
You will find the main steps to producing the treat below.
- Local farmers collect the fresh milk from yaks and cows.
- The milk is then boiled to reach a temperature of 80 degrees Celsius (176 Fahrenheit) to kill disease causing microbes and pathogens.
- The milk’s fat is separated first and then removed from the milk to produce skimmed milk using centrifugation suitable for dogs.
- The milk is reboiled, Himalayan salt and lime are added to begin curdling the mik.
- A semi-solid cheese is formed, which is edible yet unprocessed.
- The semi-solid cheese is then packed into rectangular blocks in a jute cloth and pressed by heavy force to extract and remove excess water.
- These solid blocks of cheese are left to ferment for a few days before being cut into rectangular blocks to produce hard cheese.
- Finally, they are smoke dried for a minimum of 30 days to deliver the best and most healthy pet chew.
The longer it is preserved, the tougher and drier it becomes. But the best time to eat for yummy taste is within the first five to six months of harvesting.
These chews are inspected and processed to ensure your dog will get the highest quality chew.
Chews that match company standards are separated for further processing. These chews are then packed and exported to pet stores for your dogs to enjoy.
Check an infographic below:
Why Choose Churpi Pet Chew?
Pet Chew Churpi is the best option for pet owners who struggle with finding healthy treatment options for their dogs.
Most of the chews available in the market are made of rawhide, a byproduct of the leather industry. The rawhide is generally treated with strong chemicals and preservatives, which are highly hazardous to dogs.
Many pet owners appreciate the long life of these yak chew compared to the ones made of rawhide.
How Buying Pet Chew Helps the Wage Earners in Nepal
Earlier, Churpi made in Nepal was consumed only in the Nepali market, which did not bring many benefits to the producers. Until (1990), the price of Churpi was Nepali rupees100, which is (less than a dollar for 2.5 lb of churpi).
Today, its consumption has gradually increased and can cost up to $100 (per 2.5 lb of churpi) and $9 for a small package in the international market.
Now, it is exported to many countries, including the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Germany, Japan, Korea, Russia, the United Kingdom, and many more.
This newly emerging market for a churpi-based dog chew plus the increased prices and has helped boost the income wage earners in Nepal.
According to the data of the Trade and Export Promotion Center, in 2017/2018, the country exported more than 800 million Nepalese Rupees (the US $7 million) worth of Churpi.
Out of which 60 to 70 percent of the total Churpi exported as dog chew to the US and Europe is produced in the Ilam district of Nepal.
This surge in demand for churpi has helped the farmers in Himalayan regions earn extra income with an increased economic growth.
Urban Pet Supply, based in Urbandale, Iowa, has advocated, supported, and promoted pet chew.
They source churpi products from churpi producers in Taplejung, Shankuwasabha, Rasuwa, Langtang, Dolakha, and many other parts of the Himalayan regions.
The local Himalayan communities benefit from this, making churpi pet chews their primary source of income.
By buying only pet churpi chew, you are contributing to the mission of healthy pet nutrition and supporting wage earners.
With a mission to provide dogs and cats with 100% natural, delicious, gluten-free, and grain-free treats, Urban Pet Supply products are sourced from the Himalayas.
Get in touch with Urban Pet Supply, the pet food supplies in Urbandale, for more information.