Many houseplants can unintentionally become harmful for your pets. Homeowners may not realize this, but most health issues in pets are because of your houseplants. Dogs and cats have the tendency to nibble on colorful plants.
Some plants can have systemic effects on pets while others can have intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract.
Here is the brief list of plants which are very harmful to your pets.
There are two types of Crocus plants; spring crocus (Crocus species) and autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale). The ingestion of spring crocus can cause basic gastrointestinal upset including vomiting and diarrhea. Autumn Crocus which is part of the Liliaceae family contains colchicine. It can be highly toxic and can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, and respiratory failure.
Azalea comes from the rhododendron family. It can have serious effects on pets. Ingesting even a few leaves can result in gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling.
Cyclamen is a seasonal or perennial flowering plant. It is noted for its distinctive flower forms and patterned foliage. The roots of Cyclamen can really be dangerous to pets. If ingested, it can cause severe vomiting or even death in pets.
Kalanchoe is the species of tropical, succulent flowering plants mainly native to Madagascar and tropical Africa. The colorful tropical plant can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, and heart arrhythmias if ingested by pets.
Lilies are the most common houseplants known for their aesthetic appeal and color. The more dangerous and potentially fatal lilies are true lilies which include Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter, and Japanese Show lilies. Cats are more prone to suffer from ingestion of lilies.
Oleander is generally kept outside the home. A shrub, it is popular for its evergreen qualities and delicate flowers. The leaves and flowers are extremely toxic if ingested and can cause vomiting, slow heart rate or even death.
Dieffenbachia or Dumb cans are popular in many homes and office setting. Consuming dieffenbachia can cause intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, and vomiting in pets.
Lily of the Valley
The Convallaria majalis or Lily of the Valley contains cardiac glycosides which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures in pets.
It’s essential that the pet owners keep an eye on their pets or try to keep the plants away from their reach.